Follow Mary Lind on:
Midsummer Strawberry Rhubarb Cake (Gluten Free) (10-12 Pieces)
3 dl caster sugar
1 deciliter of oatmeal (available to purchase completely gluten-free)
1 deciliter of potato flour
2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
Rhubarb and strawberry compote:
250gm frozen/fresh strawberry
300gm fresh/frozen rhubarb
2 deciliters of concentrated elderberry juice
0.75 dl of raw sugar
2.5 tablespoons chia seeds
Filling and decoration:
5 dl whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
75 gm white chocolate buttons
400 g pink marzipan *
Some lemon balm leaves
1. At the bottom: Set the oven to 180 degrees from the top and bottom. Press the baking sheet into the bottom of the springform pan (about 23 cm in diameter).
2. Beat eggs and powdered sugar with an electric whisk, preferably for 6-8 minutes. Sift the dry ingredients and stir gently.
3. Pour the mixture into the mold and bake in the lower part of the oven for 35-40 minutes. The cake should be dry in the middle and meringue-like on top. Let it cool upside down in the mould.
4. Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote: Put the strawberries in a saucepan. Rinse the rhubarb, cut into small pieces, and put in the pot. Add elderberry juice and raw sugar and bring the mixture to a boil. Let simmer for 15 minutes, until strawberries and rhubarb are tender. Remove from heat, add chia seeds and leave to cool.
5. Filling: Beat the cream with vanilla sugar until the mixture becomes cohesive.
6. Assembly part 1: Divide the bottom into 3 parts. Put the meringue-like top on the bottom. Spread on a layer of compote and sprinkle with white chocolate buttons. We put the next bottom and repeat with compote and white chocolate. Put the last base and fill the cake with whipping cream. Make sure it is level around the edges so that the marzipan has a nice surface to attach to. Place the cake in the refrigerator while rolling the marzipan.
7. Marzipan: Sprinkle a little icing sugar on the back table. Roll the marzipan by pressing lightly with a rolling pin. Turn the marzipan often so that it does not stick to the surface. You can also sprinkle some powdered sugar on your rolling pin and on your hands. Make sure to roll it thinly and with a margin so the marzipan is larger than the cake and can cover the edges.
8. Assembly part 2: Take the cake out of the refrigerator. Put a thin marzipan lid on your forearms and place it on top of the cake. Gently push it along the edges by pulling it slightly and trying to tighten it to avoid wrinkles. Cut off the excess marzipan. If you want to make pink roses from marzipan, there is a video on how to do it at www.hemmabagriet.se. Cover the marzipan powder with a little icing sugar.
* If you find the moment with marzipan seems difficult, you can also serve the cake without the marzipan lid. Then decorate instead with some fresh strawberries and lemon balm directly on top of the cream.
Strawberry marinated with mint and lemon
250gm fresh strawberry
Grated (rind) from 1 lemon
juice from 0.5 lime
6-7 fresh mint leaves
0.5 deciliter of granulated sugar
1. Rinse and take care of the strawberries and cut them into smaller pieces.
2. Rinse and wash off the glue and tear off the outer layer of the wrapper.
3. Put the strawberries, lemon peel + juice, mint leaves and caster sugar in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
4. Refund for one day.
cardamom and poppy night fermented rolls (16 pcs)
7 grams of yeast
5 dl of cold water
600g (10 dl) wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamom
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons white poppy seeds
1. Evening/Dough: Dissolve the yeast in cold water in a bowl. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and mix a loose, sticky dough with a wooden spoon. Do not knead. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave to ferment at room temperature overnight, about 8-9 hours.
2. In the morning: Set the oven to 225 degrees from the top and bottom.
Turn the loose dough out onto a well-cooked baking sheet. Sprinkle flour over the dough and cover it. Take a dough scraper (or similar) and divide the dough into 16 equal parts. Put the cakes in muffin tins and then on a baking tray.
4. Brush with a beaten egg and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.